We acquired seabreeze, a Lagoon 380 (hull number 241, first commissioned in 2004), in 2011 from Hamilton Island as an ex-charter boat. In the preceding 6 years she had introduced many paying customers to the joys of bare boat chartering in the Whitsunday Islands.
Since then we have been upgrading and adding to make seabreeze more comfortable and able to full fill the role of both live aboard home and office. Due to the immediate need to continue working requiring regular internet access, our planned cruising area, for the time being, is coastal cruising along the east coast of Australia, primarily Queensland.
We have aimed to make her comfortable and easily managed to suit our type and location of cruising, without going overboard on luxury and unnecessary items that would add undue weight and require excess power requirements.
Following is a summary of the systems currently fitted to seabreeze and used by us for cruising and work.
- A typical 4 double cabin and 2 head arrangement preferred by the charter fleets.
- We believe that this layout affords more storage space for us, plus the benefit of extra berths for when the kids and grand kids and friends, come to visit.
- This layout is also much cheaper to buy on the secondhand market compared to the “Owners version” with 3 cabin layout.
- Two Yanmar 3YM30AEC diesel motors with SD31 sail drives. New 2017.
- Slipstream stainless steel, 2 blade folding propellors.
- Two x 100 litre fuel tanks.
RIG and SAILS
- Fractional sloop rig. All sails, boom bag and bimini cover new by Doyle Sails Whitsunday in October 2011.
- All standing rigging replaced 2018.
- Doyle APC (Assymetric Spinnaker) 2018.
- Roller flurling genoa.
- Fully battened main sail with 2 reefs.
- Zippered boom bag with lazy jacks.
- Conversion of starboard genoa sheet to helm station for ease of sail handling.
- Winch Rite rechargeable electric winch handle.
- Networked Raymarine instruments at helm station. Includes wind, depth, speed and auto pilot.
- Networked Raymarine a77 multi-function display with wifi, chart plotter, fish finder and AIS overlay at navigation table.
- Networked GME AIS transceiver with splitter.
- Old Navman chart plotter as a backup at navigation table.
- Apple iPad with waterproof case mounted at helm station and powered by a 12 volt plug. Navionics navigation app as a redundant backup chart plotter as well as wifi linked to Raymarine a77 via the RayControl app to control and view all a77 functions.
- iPad also loaded with various other weather forecasting and navigation apps.
- GME VHF radio at navigation table (with external speaker at helm), plus GME hand held VHF with DSC.
- Four 120 amp hour (480 amp hour total) deep cycle batteries for the house bank.
- Two 90 amp hour starting batteries for the motors.
- Alternators on both motors charge when motors running.
- 2 off 327 watt E20 Sunpower solar panels (total 654 watts) mounted on the dinghy davits on a custom stainless steel frame that tilts from horizontal to 60 degrees aft to maximise the sun angle. Solar panel wired to a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 controller which is ethernet networked to the Dovado router allowing viewing of solar performance on the MacBooks, iPad and iPhones via wifi.
- Two 40 amp 240 volt chargers when on shore power or running the Honda EU20i generator.
- All battery banks are connected via solid state Yandina 160 amp Combiners that allow charging by all sources (solar, engine alternators and 240 volt charger) to all batteries, then isolation of all banks when there is no charging source active.
- Honda EU20i portable generator as a backup when multiple cloudy days diminishes the solar output. Also used to run 240 volt power tools when required away from shore power.
- 800 watt pure sine wave inverter. Seldom used and usually only for charging appliances that we don’t have 12 volt adaptors for.
- Enerdrive battery monitor to monitor the condition and state of charge of the batteries.
- Multiple 12 volt power outlets in all cabins, saloon and cockpit.
- Seabreeze is wired for 240 volt via safety cutout. There are 240 volt power outlets in all cabins and salon. The smart Ozefridge fridge system and Engel freezer automatically switch to 240 volts power when available.
- Stereo radio, CD player with 4 speakers (in cockpit and saloon).
- 12 volt 24″ LED TV with DVD player. Also serves as a extra computer monitor for Apple MacBooks via HDMI cable. GME powered TV antenna.
- One Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro and two 13″ MacBook Air laptop computers.
- All MacBooks can be hooked up to the 24″ LED TV to use as an external/second monitor.
- Dovado Pro 3G/4G wifi router – 12 volt. High gain RFI omni directional 3G/4G external antenna mounted to rear rail, which is hooked up to a 3G/4G USB modem plugged into the Dovado.
- Multiple USB3 powered 2.5″ external hard drives for files, photographs and backups.
- All computing equipment stored in a waterproof case for ultimate protection.
- All MacBooks are powered / charged via 12 volt charging adaptors.
PHOTOGRAPHY and VIDEO
- Nikon D800 digital SLR with various Nikon lenses.
- Nikon AW100 all weather underwater camera.
- GoPro Hero 4 with various mounts.
- All camera equipment stored and carried in a Lowerpro backpack with waterproof camera compartment.
- Photo editing with Photoshop CS.
- 12 volt fans to all cabins and saloon.
- FlexiScreen insect screens to all hatches.
- All lighting use low draw LED fixtures.
- Two 300 litre fresh water tanks (total 600 litres). Pressure fresh water system to all taps and showers with an additional manual foot operated pump to the galley sink. SensaTank 100 water level monitor to both tanks.
- 240v Rainman portable desalinater for producing fresh water from sea water. Produces 140L/hr & fitted in aft lazaret.
- Engine and 240 volt powered hot water heater. Hot water to galley and both heads.
- External shower on stern boarding steps.
- Tecma Nelson two burner propane stove and oven / griller 2017.
- Stainless steel barbecue on pushpit.
- 240 volt portable induction cooker for use when plugged into shore power.
- 110 litre front opening fridge converted to smart 12 volt / 240 volt Ozefridge eutectic system.
- Engel 38 litre portable fridge / freezer.
- Electric macerater toilets hooked up to large holding tanks.
- Mercury Quicksilver Dynamic 300 RIB tender with 8 HP Mercury outboard.
- High pressure salt water deck wash system to wash anchor and clean up deck eg after catching fish.
- Bimini over cockpit with zip down clears to front.
- Removable custom made shade cloths to cockpit bimini sides and over trampoline.
- Custom made colour matched UV resistant coated trampoline.
- 30kg Sarca Excel anchor with 70 metres of all chain rode. Manson Plow as a spare.
- Lofrans Tigress 1200 watt electric anchor winch with both corded and cordless remote controls.